YAFFORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Danby-Wisk, union of Northallerton, wapentake of Gilling-East, N. riding of York, 1½ mile (W. by N.) from Northallerton; containing 178 inhabitants. It is situated in the vale of the Wisk, and comprises by computation 1120 acres of land, divided among several proprietors, some of whom have neat houses here: the common was inclosed about 1832. The chapel is a small structure. The tithes have been commuted for £54.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.