Wytham, or Whytham (All Saints)
WYTHAM, or Whytham (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, hundred of Hormer, county of Berks, 3 miles (N. W.) from Oxford; containing 189 inhabitants. It comprises 1129a. 1r. 9p., of which 679 acres are meadow and pasture, 144 arable, and 284 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 2½.; net income, £306; patron, the Earl of Abingdon. Here was anciently a nunnery, originally founded at Abingdon, by the sister of King Ceadwalla, and afterwards removed hither; during the war between Offa and Cynewulf, it was demolished by the nuns themselves, who had suffered great annoyance from a castle in the neighbourhood.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.