BLACKWATER, a large village, in the parish of Yately, hundred of Crondall, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 15 miles (E. N. E.) from Basingstoke. It occupies a low situation on the great western road, at the point of junction of the three counties of Southampton, Surrey, and Berks, and on the western bank of the river Blackwater, which is here crossed by a bridge: on the northern side of the road is a range of handsome buildings, appropriated as residences for the masters of the adjoining college of Sandhurst. A fair for cattle and sheep is held on Sept. 8th. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.