Wormleighton (St. Peter)
WORMLEIGHTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Southam, Burton-Dassett division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 5¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Southam; containing 188 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3157a. 3r. 26p., the whole of which, with the exception of a few acres, is rich pasture and meadow land. The Oxford canal passes near the village. Here stood the manorial residence of the Spencer family, of which some remains still exist. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £80; patron and impropriator, Earl Spencer. The church is an ancient structure, partly in the Norman style; it contains a remarkably handsome screen. There is a school, endowed with £24 a year by Mrs. Catherine Arnold. The place gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Marlborough.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.