DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Worlingham (All Saints)

WORLINGHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wangford, E. division of Suffolk, 1¼ mile (S. E. by S.) from Beccles; containing 208 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1726 acres, of which 114 are in Worlingham Parva; and is bounded on the north-east by the navigable river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. The living is a rectory, with that of Worlingham Parva annexed, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £303, and the glebe comprises 47 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains a monument by Chantrey, to General Sparrow and his son. The church of Worlingham Parva, which was dedicated to St. Peter, has been demolished. A part of the town-estate, producing altogether £30. 10. 6. per annum, is appropriated to teaching children. Worlingham gives the title of Baron to the Earl of Gosford, who has a seat here.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement