WORLDHAM, EAST, a parish, in the union and hundred of Alton, Alton and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2½ miles (E. by S.) from Alton; containing 254 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1684 acres, of which 910 are arable, 454 meadow and pasture, 90 wood, and 35 in hop-plantations. About two-thirds of the land are on malm rock, and the remainder forms a strong cold clay; the surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasingly varied. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 18. 1½., and in the gift of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford, the impropriators: the great tithes have been commuted for £217. 7., and the vicarial for £157. 13.; the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style. On a tumulus called King John's Hill, fragments of Roman pottery have been met with, and the foundations of a building discovered.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.