Wootton-Courtney (All Saints)
WOOTTON-COURTNEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Carhampton, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (S. W.) from Minehead; containing 418 inhabitants. This parish takes the adjunct to its name from the Courtney family, who formerly held the manor. It is situated in a valley between the heights of Grabhurst and Dunkery, and comprises 3119 acres, of which 1436 are common or waste. At the base of Dunkery, which is 1668 feet above the level of the sea, is a mine of iron-ore in active operation; there are also quarries in the parish of red-sandstone for building and for the roads, and of limestone, in which crystals are found. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 8. 9., and in the patronage of Eton College: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 113 acres, with a house. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style. Richard Montague, afterwards Bishop of Chester and of Norwich, was rector here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.