Wootton (St. Lawrence)
WOOTTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Chutely, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¼ miles (W. by N.) from Basingstoke; containing 845 inhabitants. It is intersected by the London and South-Western railway, and comprises 1133a. lr. 13p., of which 20 acres are pasture, 53 woodland, 14 road and waste, and the remainder arable. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 2. 3½.; net income, £211; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church, which is very ancient, has a Norman doorway, with pillars and arches of the same character, and several windows in the early English style; it contains a handsome marble monument in memory of Sir Thomas Hooke, Bart., and several memorials to the family of Wither.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.