WOODLAND, a chapelry, in the parish of Ipplepen, union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Haytor, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Ashburton; containing 206 inhabitants. It comprises 1600 acres, of which 50 are pasture, 100 woodland, and the remainder arable and water-meadow; the soil is very light. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Parishioners, with a net income of £56; appropriators, the Dean and Canous of Windsor, whose tithes have been commuted for £200. The church, in the later English style, was built in the reign of Henry VIII., and contains 250 sittings.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.