WOODHOUSE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (S. W.) from Loughborough; containing, with Alderman-Haw, 1309 inhabitants. A rent-charge of £65 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, the Vicar of Barrow. A district church has been erected at Woodhouse-Eaves, in Charnwood Forest; it was consecrated on the 5th of Sept. 1837, and contains 400 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £350 in aid of the expense. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £106; patrons, the Lords of certain manors. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Thomas Rawlins in 1691 granted several pieces of land, for the support of a school, for distribution among the poor of this chapelry and that of Quorndon, and for apprenticing children of both places; the estate, at the inclosure of Charnwood Forest, in 1829, was enlarged to 72 acres, and now produces about £230 per annum. There is also a bequest of £13 per annum for apprenticing a boy in London, and another of £5. 10. for the poor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.