DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Woodhay, East (St. Martin)

WOODHAY, EAST (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Kingsclere, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Newbury; containing 1408 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the north-western extremity of the county, immediately under a range of hills, and comprises 4966a. 29p.: the surface is ornamented with numerous clumps of trees, and the soil is rich, resting in some places on clay, and in others on chalk. In addition to a small village adjacent to the church, the parish contains the two large villages of East End and North-End. It is traversed by the road from Newbury to Andover. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Ashmansworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 0½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £1021. 14.; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 43¾ acres. The church, rebuilt at the expense of the parishioners, in 1823, contains a handsome monument to the Goddard family, who were long settled here. Bishops Hooper, Ken, and Louth, were formerly rectors. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. In the parish was anciently a palace belonging to the bishops of Winchester.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement