Wollaston (St. Mary)
WOLLASTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Higham-Ferrers, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Wellingborough; containing 1120 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by a portion of the county of Bedford, and intersected by the road from Bedford to Wellingborough; it comprises 2812 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Irchester annexed, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £440; patron, the Rev. W. W. Dickens: the tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments in 1788. The church is a handsome cruciform structure, with a stately tower rising from the intersection, and surmounted by a spire. There are places of worship for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans. The sum of £10. 8. per annum, the produce of bequests, is distributed in bread among the poor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.