Wollaston (St. Andrew)
WOLLASTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Chepstow, hundred of Westbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Chepstow; containing 1022 inhabitants. At the time of the Norman survey, William, Count D'Eu, who, after a judicial combat at Salisbury, was executed for high treason, was lord of the principal part of this place. It was afterwards granted to the family of Clare, who gave the manor and church to Tintern Abbey, together with several granges stretching across the parish from the river Wye to the Severn. Towards the Wye the parish is bounded by a range of limestone hills, and towards the Severn by a rich vale of red marl; it is intersected by the road from Gloucester to Chepstow, and comprises by estimation 3160 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, with the livings of Alvington and Lancaut consolidated, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 5., and in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort: the tithes have been commuted for £327. 12.; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 46½ acres. The church is a small cruciform edifice, partly in the Norman style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.