Withypoole (St. Andrew)
WITHYPOOLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Dulverton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (N. W.) from Dulverton; containing 251 inhabitants. It is watered by the river Barle, and comprises 3574 acres, of which 1671 are arable, pasture, and woodland, and the remainder common. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge: the tithes have been commuted for £161, and the glebe contains 30 acres. The church is a plain edifice, with a tower.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.