Bittadon (St. Peter)
BITTADON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 6¼ miles (N. by W.) from Barnstaple; containing 78 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres, and is situated on the road from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe; the soil is light, and the principal part of the land being high and exposed, it is much used for summer pasture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 2. 8½., and in the patronage of W. A. Yeo, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £73, and there are 23 acres of glebe. The church is very small, with a low turret.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.