WINSTER, a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Youlgrave, union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (W. by N.) from Matlock, and 145 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 1005 inhabitants. This small town is situated on the road from Ashbourn to Bakewell, about midway between the river Derwent and the Cromford and High Peak railway. It is badly supplied with water, which in dry seasons is only to be procured at the distance of a mile. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the adjacent lead-mines, which were once much more extensively worked; the market, on Saturday, is very indifferently attended, and four fairs formerly held annually have also declined. The chapelry comprises 1049a. 1r. 24p. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £104; patrons, the Inhabitants. The tithes were partly commuted for land, under inclosure acts, in 1763 and 1809; the Duke of Rutland is entitled to the tithe of lead-ore. In 1702, Mrs. Anne Phermey and Mrs. H. Fanshaw bestowed on the minister one-fourth of the tithes of corn and hay in the township; and about 50 acres of land belonging to the benefice. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1843. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Thomas Eyre, Esq., in 1717 bequeathed £20 per annum for instruction; and an annuity of £5 was left in 1718, by Robert Moore, for the same purpose. In the neighbourhood are several barrows, in one of which, opened in 1768, two glass vessels were found, containing some clear but green-coloured water, a silver bracelet, some glass beads, and other trinkets.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.