Winsford (St. Mary Magdalene)
WINSFORD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Dulverton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Dulverton; containing 581 inhabitants. The parish comprises 8656 acres, including 2035 common or waste; and is situated on the river Exe, which forms its boundary for 6 or 7 miles. Iron-ore is abundant, and there are indications of its having been formerly wrought to a great extent; common stone, of the slate species, is quarried for roads and for building rough walls. A cattle-fair is held on the 20th of August. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 9., and in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Of the impropriate tithes, ¼ belongs to Sir T. D. Acland, Bart., ¼ to the poor of the parishes of King's-Brompton, Kingston, and Bishop's-Lydeard, and ½ is appropriated for exhibitions at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford. These tithes have been commuted for £130, and the vicarial tithes for £370; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 92¾ acres. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.