Wingfield, North (St. Lawrence)
WINGFIELD, NORTH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Chesterfield; containing, with the hamlet of Pilsley, and the townships of Claylane, Stretton, Tupton, and Woodford, 3144 inhabitants, of whom 250 are in North Wingfield township. The Roman Ikeneld-street may be traced in the parish. At Clay-Cross, the Midland railway is carried through a tunnel 1760 yards long, 22 feet wide, and 26 feet high, the expense of constructing which is stated to have been above £100 per lineal yard. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 3.; net income, £772; patron, G. H. Barrow, Esq. The church is a large handsome structure, at a distance from the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.