Winfrith-Newburgh (St. Christopher)
WINFRITH-NEWBURGH (St. Christopher), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Winfrith, Wareham division of Dorset, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Wareham; containing 963 inhabitants. This is a very extensive and ancient parish, giving name to the hundred. It formerly belonged to the family of Newburgh, who had a seat here, of which there are no traces. Near the hamlet of Brome-hill, a rivulet, tributary to the Frome, is crossed by three bridges, erected in 1769, at the joint expense of Edward Weald and James Frampton, Esqrs. The living is a rectory, with the living of West Lullworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £23. 14. 4½.; net income, £440; patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. Two-thirds of the great tithes of corn, wool, and lambs, belong to the vicar of Chipping-Campden, in the county of Gloucester. The church has a fine Norman doorway and an embattled tower; the nave is covered with lead.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.