Wimpole (St. Andrew)
WIMPOLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Wetherley, county of Cambridge, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Caxton; containing 464 inhabitants. This place, which is on the road from Royston to Huntingdon, is remarkable as the residence of the Earl of Hardwicke, whose magnificent seat of Wimpole Hall, splendidly embellished, and surrounded by a beautiful demesne, was visited by Her Majesty and Prince Albert in October 1843. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes have been commuted for £567, and the glebe comprises one acre. The church, which has been enlarged by fitting up a private chapel with seats, contains various monuments to the Yorke family, including one to the memory of Lord Chancellor Hardwicke, who was interred here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.