Willesden (St. Mary)
WILLESDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hendon, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 5 miles (W. X. w.) from London; containing 2930 inhabitants. This place, sometimes written in old documents Willesdon, was also anciently called Willesdune, by which name it is mentioned in a charter of King Athelstan, granting certain lands to St. Paul's Cathedral. The parish contains the ancient village of Neasdon, the village of Harlesdon-Green, part of Kensal-Green (the two latter on the Harrow-road), and a part of the large village of Kilburn. The London and Birmingham railway passes through the southern extremity of the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's (the appropriators), valued in the king's books at £14; income, £130. The church is principally in the later English style. There is a chapel at Kilburn.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.