BISHOPSTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Old Stratford, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Stratford; containing 51 inhabitants. This place was originally called Bishopsdone, and owed the former part of its name to the bishops of Worcester, to whom Stratford belonged, and the latter to its situation at the foot of a hill. For many generations the hamlet was the property of a family who took their name from it. It was at length conveyed by a female heir to the family of Sir William Catesby, after which it had several possessors. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £25; patron, the Vicar of Stratford. A new chapel was consecrated in 1843; it is in the early English style, contains 192 sittings, and cost £1000.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.