Wilburton (St. Peter)
WILBURTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of South Witchford, union and Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Ely; containing 500 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2233 acres, of which 1182 are arable, 534 meadow and pasture, and the remainder woodland, common, roads, and waste: the soil is mostly rich. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £68; patron, the Archdeacon of Ely. The tithes have been commuted for £519, and the glebe consists of 170 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains 100 sittings. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The parsonage-house was anciently the seat of the archdeacons of Ely; and Henry VII., and his son Prince Henry, were entertained in it for several days, when that sovereign came to visit the shrine of St. Ethelreda.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.