DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wilbraham, Great (St. Nicholas)

WILBRAHAM, GREAT (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Staine, county of Cambridge, 7¼ miles (E. by S.) from Cambridge; containing 564 inhabitants. It comprises 2800 acres. The soil is of light quality, resting upon chalk and gravel; the surface in the western portion is flat, and in the southern parts elevated. The manor-house, an ancient building that belonged to the Knights Templars, is still called the Temple. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 18. 4.; net income, £203; patron and impropriator, Edward Hicks, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1797; the glebe comprises 155 acres. The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower at the west end; it had originally a tower rising from the centre.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement