Widworthy (St. Cuthbert)
WIDWORTHY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Colyton, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from Honiton; containing 257 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Honiton to Axminster, and comprises 1407 acres, of which 205 are common or waste. Freestone of good quality for building is quarried, and chalk is burnt into lime for manure. A fair is held at Wilmington on the morrow of St. Matthew's day. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 0½., and in the patronage of the Elton family: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 31 acres. The church, an ancient structure, contains the effigy of a knight in armour, and a fine monument by Bacon to the memory of James Marwood, Esq., a liberal benefactor to the parish. Benedictus Marwood, Esq., in 1742 gave £100, and the Rev. Joseph Somaster in 1770 left £50, to be applied to education; the latter also left £50, directing the proceeds to be distributed in bread among the poor. In 1831, the Rev. W. J. Tucker, then rector, gave £200 to his successor for charitable purposes. Near the church is an old earthwork, and in the north-cast part of the parish are vestiges of an intrenchment.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.