Wickwar (Holy Trinity)
WICKWAR (Holy Trinity), a market-town and parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 24 miles (S. S. W.) from Gloucester, and 111 (W.) from London; containing 1125 inhabitants. This town, which consists principally of one spacious and well-built street, is pleasantly situated on the nearest and best road from Bath to Gloucester and the north of England, and is watered by two small streams. The surrounding scenery is highly picturesque, and the air proverbially pure and salubrious. Great improvements have taken place: a new road has been formed to Wotton-under-Edge, by which the distance has been shortened two miles; and the railway from Bristol to Birmingham has a station here. The works of this railway, in the vicinity, comprise a tunnel threequarters of a mile in length. The clothing-trade was formerly carried on to a considerable extent. The market is on Monday; and fairs take place on April 6th and July 2nd, for horses and horned-cattle. Under a charter granted by Charles I., the town is governed by a mayor and an indefinite number of aldermen, consisting of all who have served the office of mayor: a manorial court leet is held triennially, in October. The parish comprises by measurement 2307 acres, of which about one-third is arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is a stone brash, alternated with clay. An act for inclosing certain waste lands was passed in 1838. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the gift of Lord Ducie: the tithes have been commuted for £430, and the glebe comprises 14½ acres. The church is in the later English style, with a lofty square embattled tower, and contains 436 sittings. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; also a free school founded in 1683, by Alexander Hosea, a native of the town, who endowed it with property now producing £126 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.