WHITWELL-ON-THE-HILL, a township, in the parish of Crambe, union of Malton, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 5¾ miles (S. W.) from Malton; containing 215 inhabitants. It comprises about 1640 acres of land, late the property of the Graham family, by whom it was sold for 95,000 guineas to J. Haigh, Esq., whose executors are now lords of the manor. The Hall, a fine mansion, built by Mr. Haigh at an expense of £30,000, is at present occupied by his widow. The village is on the road from York to Malton.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.