WHITTON, a township, in the parish of Grindon, union of Stockton, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Stockton; containing 52 inhabitants. The township comprises 750 acres: the main line of the Clarence railway passes through it. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £11; and the impropriate for £106. 17. payable to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.