WHITLEY, LOWER, a township and chapelry, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 4¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Northwich; containing 219 inhabitants. The township comprises 974 acres, of which the soil is partly sand and partly clay. Sir John Chetwode, Bart., is lord of the manor, and principal landed proprietor. The hamlet of Grimsditch is in the township; and Grimsditch Hall is the property of the family of Grimsditch. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £108; patron, Sir John Chetwode; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The chapel, rebuilt about 1600, is a small brick edifice with bay-windows. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a school, founded in 1645.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.