Whiston (St. Mary)
WHISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymmersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6½ miles (E. by S.) from Northampton; containing 66 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 809 acres, of which the arable and pasture are in equal portions; about 40 acres are wood. The surface is undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Nene; the soil is chiefly clay, alternated with gravel, and the substratum is excellent limestone. The village is on the line of railway from Blisworth to Peterborough, and although its situation is low, it is healthy. The living is a rectory, to which a portion of the rectory of Denton is annexed, valued in the king's books at £14. 11. 0½., and in the patronage of Lord Boston: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and there are 4 acres of glebe. The church, built about 1534 by Anthony Catesby, Esq., is remarkable for the beauty of its proportions, and is in the later English style, with an elegant tower 70 feet high, crowned by rich pinnacles. The font is octagonal, with panelled sides handsomely executed; in the chancel is a monument to the founder and various of his ancestors, and there are several memorials to the Irby family, of which one, to the first Lord Boston and his lady, is by Nollekens. Some remains exist of a moated building said, probably not correctly, to have been the residence of King John. In the parish is a petrifying spring.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.