Whippingham (St. Mildred)
WHIPPINGHAM (St. Mildred), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Newport; containing 2518 inhabitants. This parish lies on the east side of the river Medina, and is bounded on the north-east by the Motherbank. It contains the populous hamlet of East Cowes, and also Barton's-Village near Newport, each of which places has an ecclesiastical district assigned to its church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 1. 5½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £757. The parish church is a small structure, principally in the later English style, with a tower and spire.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.