WHELPINGTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Whelpington, union of Bellingham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 15½ miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 56 inhabitants. This place was successively the property of the Umfravilles, Lisles, Herons, and Milbanks, the last of whom sold it in 1796. It consists of the two lordships of Ray and West Whelpington. The village, at one time considerable, stood proudly on the northern margin of the river Wansbeck, on an elevated plain which slopes gently towards the east and is defended on all sides by a whinstone precipice: no person has resided here within memory; and Ray has also decreased very much in buildings and population. Horn's Castle, situated on a commanding eminence in the township, has been converted into a farmhouse. There are several earthworks within its limits; also the Waney Crag, a huge sandstone rock; and the district exhibits many interesting features in natural history.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.