Wheathill (St. John the Baptist)
WHEATHILL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Castle-Cary; containing 28 inhabitants. It is on the road from Castle-Cary to Somerton, and comprises about 600 acres, principally in pasture. The springs in the vicinity are strongly impregnated with sulphur. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 5. 2£., and in the patronage of Mrs. Harbin: the tithes have been commuted for £73, and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The church is ancient.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.