Wheatenhurst, or Whitminster (St. Andrew)
WHEATENHURST, or Whitminster (St. Andrew), a parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 7¼ miles (S. W.) from Gloucester; containing 391 inhabitants, and comprising 1238 acres. It is bounded on the north-west by the river Severn; the Gloucester and Berkeley and the Stroud canals pass through the parish, and the village is situated on the road from Gloucester to Bristol. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 3½., and has a net income of £135; the patronage belongs to the Ely family. The tithes have been commuted for £266. 10; the glebe comprises 11½ acres. Wheatenhurst poor-law union comprises 14 parishes or places, containing a population of 7970.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.