Wexham (St. Mary)
WEXHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (N. E.) from Slough; containing 175 inhabitants. It comprises 715a. 3r. 20p., of which 608 acres are arable, 91 meadow and pasture, and 16 woodland. The soil is partly a deep rich mould, and partly sandy, and the substratum chiefly ragstone; the surface has a gradual elevation, and commands a view of the Epsom downs. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 15., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £200. In the church is a vault in which several of the Godolphin family are interred. The learned Fleetwood, before his elevation to episcopal dignity, was rector of the parish from 1705 to 1708, during which period he published his Chronicon Pretiosum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.