Wetton (St. Margaret)
WETTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 7½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Ashbourn; containing 485 inhabitants. The river Manifold runs through the parish, as far as Wetton-mill, then suddenly disappears through the fissures of its limestone bed, and, continuing a subterraneous course for about five miles, emerges within a few yards of the place where the river Hamps reappears in like manner from its channel underground. At Ecton Hill is a copper-mine, which was first wrought in the 17th century, and for many years produced a yearly profit of £30,000 to the Duke of Devonshire; but the ore becoming scarce, it was given up by his grace some time since, and let to a small company of working miners, who still find a tolerable remuneration for their labours. On the opposite side of the hill was a prolific lead-mine, now exhausted; and there are quarries of excellent marble in the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patron, M. Burgoyne, Esq.; impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was rebuilt in 1820, at a cost of £600, except the tower, which is very ancient. Within the parish is a cavern of large dimensions, termed Thor's House, in which the Druids, it is believed, sacrificed to their god Thor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.