Weston-Upon-Trent (St. Mary)
WESTON-UPON-TRENT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. E. by S.) from Derby; containing 396 inhabitants. It comprises by recent measurement 1959 acres, of which 15 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; the soil is various, gravel and loam on the south, and on the north a stiff clay. From the quarries here, was raised the stone for the erection of the church, as well as of the new church at Shardlow. The river Trent bounds the parish on the south-west, and the Trent and Mersey canal passes through for three miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11.16. 3.; net income, £594; patron, Sir Robert Wilmot, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents in 1786; the glebe comprises upwards of 300 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower and spire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.