Weston (All Saints)
WESTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bath, hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 1¾ mile (N. W.by W.) from Bath; containing 2899 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by the river Avon, and comprises 2413 acres, of which 1901 are meadow and pasture, 495 arable, and 15 woodland; the pastures are chiefly grazed by cows kept for the supply of Bath with milk. The higher lands, forming part of the plain of Lansdown, rest on a bed of inferior oolite, and the substratum of the lower is blue lias, which is quarried for burning into lime and for the roads; the quarries contain many fossil remains, among which are bones of the ichthyosaurus. The upper road from Bath to Bristol passes through the parish; and a stream tributary to the Avon has its source in Lansdown Hill, and flows through the village, near which it is crossed by a stone bridge of one arch. The scenery is finely varied, and includes some interesting objects; near the spot where Sir Bevil Granville fell at the battle of Lansdown, is a monument inscribed to his memory by Lord Clarendon. The river Avon affords facility of conveyance, and the Great Western railway passes within a mile. Lansdown fair, for cattle, sheep, pigs, cheese, and toys, is held on the 10th of August. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £468. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1832, and is a handsome structure in the later English style, containing 630 sittings. Another church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1836; and the chapel attached to Partis' College, noticed in the article on Bath, is also in Weston parish. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Lady Huntingdon's Connexion. Lansdown Plain confers the title of Marquess on the Petty family.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.