DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Westhide

WESTHIDE, a parish, in the hundred of Radlow, union and county of Hereford, 5½miles (N. E. by E.) from Hereford; containing 159 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Hereford to Bromyard, and comprises by measurement 1100 acres, of which 365 are arable, 425 meadow and pasture, 60 in hop plantations, and 250 woodland. The soil is generally a reddish clay, producing good crops of wheat; the surface is undulated, and there are quarries of limestone, used chiefly for rough building and for the roads. An extension of the Gloucester and Ledbury canal to Hereford skirts the parish. The Court, formerly the seat of the Monnington family, to whom the manor belonged, was originally surrounded with a moat, which is now partly filled up. The living is a rectory, united to that of Stoke-Edith: the glebe comprises about 21 acres. The church is in the early English style, and contains some monuments to the Monningtons.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement