Westcote (St. Mary)
WESTCOTE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Stow; containing 240 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1503 acres, of which 450 are arable, 100 wood, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil on the hills is a stone brash, and in the lower lands a strong clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 7. 3½.; net income, £209; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T. P. Pantin, who is also lord of the manor. The church is an ancient structure, partly in the Norman style. In the register is recorded the marriage of Sir Thomas Littleton, Knt. and Bart., treasurer of the navy in 1682.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.