Westbury (St. Lawrence)
WESTBURY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Wells; containing 647 inhabitants. It comprises 2968a. 2r. 26p., lying for the most part at the base of the Mendip hills; the substratum contains limestone of good quality, which is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Priddy annexed, valued in the king's books at £11. 4. 9½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells: the great tithes have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for £183; the glebe comprises 12 acres. The church is a plain structure, built partly in the reign of Stephen, and partly in that of Edward IV. A good glebe-house was lately erected.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.