Wendron (St. Wendron)
WENDRON (St. Wendron), a parish, in the union of Helston, comprising the borough and market-town of Helston (which has separate jurisdiction), and partly in the W. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall; containing 9160 inhabitants, of whom 5576 are in that portion exclusive of Helston. This parish is situated near the coast of the English Channel, and comprises about 13,000 acres, of which 3500 are common or waste. It is rich in mineral treasure, and the tin and copper mines within its limits afford employment to many of the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Helston annexed, valued in the king's books at £26. 19. 4½., and in the gift of Queen's College, Oxford. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £584. 6., and the vicarial for £860. A church district named Carnmenellis was endowed in 1846 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are places of worship for Baptists, Bryanites, and Weslcyans. On the summit of a hill sailed Caer Bonalas, is a circle of upright stones, inclosing an intrenchment 35 feet in diameter, in the centre of which are four thin flat stones placed one upon another, the uppermost being 19 feet in diameter. On the same hill are two barrows, one of which is inclosed by a wall about five feet high. Roman coins have been found at a place named Golvaduck barrow; and at Trehill is an ancient well.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.