Wellow (St. Julian)
WELLOW (St. Julian), a parish, in the union of Bath, hundred of Wellow, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (S.) from Bath; containing 1018 inhabitants. The hundred of Wellow, with its feudal rights, tenures, and royalties, has for many generations been held by the lord of the hundred of Kilmersdon. The parish is situated between the roads from Bath to Exeter and to Warminster, at the distance of about three miles from each; and comprises 5360 acres. Coal-mines are in operation, and the shaft of a new pit has lately been sunk at the hamlet of Sherscomb. A tramway from the collieries communicates with the Avon and Kennet and the Radford canals. Cattle-fairs are held in May and October. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 6. 10½.; patron, William C. Keating, Esq.; impropriator, H. G. Langton, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £258. 11., and the vicarial for £353. 12.; there is a glebe-house, which of late years has been enlarged and thoroughly repaired, and the glebe contains 62 acres. The church is a fine structure, with an old oak roof, and fittings in excellent preservation. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Among numerous Roman relics discovered in the neighbourhood, a tessellated pavement was found in 1644, another in 1670, and a third in 1685, with altars, pillars, fragments of pateræ, and other vessels. At the extremity of the parish is an immense barrow called Woodeborough; and from another, a smaller one, have been taken several stone coffins.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.