DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wellington (St. Margaret)

WELLINGTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the hundred of Grimsworth, union and county of Hereford, 5¼ miles (N.) from Hereford; containing 670 inhabitants. The parish consists of 2540 acres; it is situated near the western bank of the river Lugg, and intersected by the road from Leominster to Hereford. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The tithes have been commuted for £258. 10. payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £266. 16. to the vicar, and £112. 1. to certain impropriators: there are 49 acres of glebe. Almshouses for six aged men were founded and endowed by Sir Herbert Perrott, in 1682; and three others in the parish have a small benefaction.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement