Welford (St. Gregory)
WELFORD (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Newbury, partly in the hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, but chiefly in that of Faircross, county of Berks, 4 miles (N. W.) from Newbury; containing, with the tythings of Easton, Hoe Benham, and Weston, and the chapelry of Wickham, 1099 inhabitants, of whom 130 are in Welford tything. The parish comprises 4958a. 1r. 28p., of which 3504 acres are arable, 737 meadow and pasture, 661 woodland, and 54 waste and roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £35. 15. 5., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. Nicholson: the tithes have been commuted for £1353, and the glebe comprises 189½ acres. The church is principally in the decorated English style, with a tower whose lower part is circular and the upper square, surmounted by a spire. At the time of the Norman survey, there was a church in the hamlet of Weston.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.