WASSAND, a hamlet, in the township of Seaton, parish of Sigglesthorne, union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 2 miles (W.) from Hornsea. It is called in Domesday book Wadsande, and after passing through the abbeys of Meaux and of St. Mary at York, and several families, came, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Constables, by whom it is still possessed. Wassand Hall, occupying the site of the old mansion, is an elegant edifice in the Italian style, with grounds very agreeably disposed, which in some parts command beautiful views. The Wassand family resided at the place for about two centuries. The lordship consists of nearly 400 acres of land, chiefly laid out in pasture; the soil in general is a mixture of sand, gravel, and light clay.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.