WARTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (w. by N.) from Rothbury; containing 74 inhabitants. It was formerly a member of the Hepple barony. The neighbourhood is called the "core of Coquet," from the excellence of its soil. The tithes have been commuted for £20.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.