Warfield (St. Michael)
WARFIELD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Easthampstead, hundred of Wargrave, county of Berks, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from Wokingham; containing 1317 inhabitants. This parish, which once formed part of Windsor Forest, comprises 3360a. 2r. 21p.; about 1447 acres are arable, 1554 meadow, 165 coppice and plantations, and 71 heath. The neighbourhood is thickly studded with gentlemen's seats. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; patron, Maxwell Windle, Esq.; impropriators, the landowners: the great tithes have been commuted for £668. 12., and the vicarial for £200; the glebe comprises 16 acres. The church contains some handsome monuments; and in a chapel, the burial-place of the Stavertons, attached to the north side of the chancel, is an ancient brass with an effigy of one of that family. The sum of £200, bequeathed by the Hon. Gen. William Hervey, was expended in the erection of premises for a national school, on land given by the late Lord Braybrooke. There are some remains of an intrenchment called Cæsar's Camp, where many Roman coins have been found.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.