WARD-END, a village, in the hamlet of Little Bromwich, parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (N. E.) from Birmingham. A chapel was erected about the year 1516, but, the Reformation following immediately after, it is doubtful whether divine service was ever performed in the building, which fell into a state of dilapidation, and so continued till the year 1835. At this time, the remains were taken down, and a church was erected at a cost of £1500, by voluntary contributions, and licensed by the bishop, but not consecrated till the 23rd of October, 1841. It is a neat structure of brick coated with Roman cement, in the early English style, with a small embattled tower, and windows and doorways of stone: there are 306 sittings, including 178 free. The incumbency is in the patronage of the Vicar of Aston, and was endowed with £1000 in the funds, of which £600 have been laid out in the purchase of 6½ acres of land and three cottages. The church, like the old chapel, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin, and St. Margaret.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.