UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wanstrow (St. Mary)

WANSTROW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 6 miles {S. W.) from Frome; containing 438 inhabitants. It comprises 2054a. 1r. 11p., of which about 1378 acres are pasture, 424 arable, 117 wood, and 111 common. A new road has been formed in the parish, which has added considerably to its advantages. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 9. 9½., and in the gift of Mrs. E. H. Clarke: the tithes have been commuted for £320; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 57¾ acres.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.